Wednesday, March 21, 2007

BIRD SEED ...IT CAN SUCK.
Seriously it can. About a year ago I hung a birdhouse feeder on my little tree in the front. I picked up a bag of birdseed santioned by no less than the Audubon Society. Within days I witnessed the lovely sights of bluejays, cardinals, lovebirds, chicadees, kingfisher sparrows all manner of local birdfolk as well as a few crazy squirrels. The huge bag I bought lasted nary a month as friends invited friends and my small yard became "THE'" spot for happening and hungry birds. Soon I was buying more bags sooner. It got to the point that after I filled the house within an hour it would be empty and the huge bags were only lasting a week at most. The birds started expecting me to fill the house and not even flying away when I went to do so. After the house would empty the enbolded and slightly pissed off johnny-come-latelys would look in the window sometimes pecking it as if to say get off your lazy butt and give us more food! My cats who originally enjoyed the spectacle were becoming alarmed at the bold displays of the birds and would jump down from the window sills only to cower under the bed upstairs. Finally the day came when fearing a scene from a famous Hitchcock movie I ran out to buy birdseed (I was picking up a couple of bags a week now) and the Audubon brand was out. In desperation I grabbed what seemed to be an acceptable brand of Wallyworld birdseed and headed home. After putting what was to be known as the subpar brand into the feeder, results seemed instantaneous. My house was no longer the "It" place and became the "C list" of the birdworld. I say "C list" because we were being utilized only in the foulest of weather. Only when ice was covering the ground an inch thick were our services utilized. It took days, weeks even to empty the formerly popular birdhouse feeder. So as the dreaded birdseed bag that has lasted through the entire winter is finally and completely emptied I say "Welcome Spring" ! ( Still deciding whether to go back to the Money Pit birdseed)

4 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Holy Cow...who would have thought birds could be so picky!!! That's hilarious!
Robin, regarding the comment on my blog....would you really send something to her???? That would be awesome!!! Email me at gfigure@yahoo.com your email to send you her address. You are a sweetheart! Thanks!!!

8:43 AM  
Blogger The Silver Thistle said...

Hahahah, what a hoot! Thanks for the laugh! Maybe it's a blessing that you're off the 'A' list, lol. The image of Hictchcock birds was too funny............scary, but funny. lol.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Stitch Wizard said...

Hi I just found your blog in Silver Thistle's blog and really had to laugh at your bird feeder story! My husband and I live in Texas and we also feed lots of birds. I even found that putting in dog kibbles attracts some of the birds but we are sure to be using safe dog kibbles like Purina Little bites. We had a beautiful Indigo Bunting come by yesterday! I am mostly a cross stitcher, but also an animal lover too! Debby :)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Thank you for your comments! I have not put any more birdseed in the feeder-still thinking about the repercussions but I think I will because I do miss the birdies!

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!
The WeatherPixie